Thursday 11 April 2013

My first entry

All of my writings are copied from my 'Panic Book' which I write in whenever I experience anxiety or depression, in the hope that writing about it will make myself calmer and that I will begin to see patterns in what causes this problem for me...

Last night I got into bed and immediately didn't feel tired anymore. My mind started racing with negativity and I felt low and lonely. I thought I was completely alone, unloved and lacking in the warmth and compassion that 'normal' people seem to have. I tried breathing steadily and pressing the thoughts down, but my heart had already started racing so much I could hear it beating in my ears. It ended with a brief cry forcing itself out of me - tears just seemed to pour out without me feeling particularly upset - and then making myself stop before my eyes became puffy.
Today I have MS. I am convinced of it. My fingers and hands have been experiencing tingling and numbness for a while, so today when my lips felt numb I decided that I definitely have MS. I spent around 45 minutes Googling the symptoms and being two people - one that laughed at myself as I did it, because it's always the worst-case-scenario diagnosis of 'cancer' or 'impending  death', and one who had already prepared to receive the diagnosis and had begun to feel the terrified feelings of having been given it.
I heard on the news this morning  that 150 families blocked the wishes of their deceased relatives to be an organ donor last year. I rang mum to clarify my wishes to be one and it comforted me. I think I've come to the conclusion that I want as little of me going into the ground as possible. I don't want to be on my own down there, I'd prefer to stay around the living so I'll look up donating myself to medical research.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, I just stumbled across your blog on Twitter - chance in a zillion! I thoroughly relate to what you have written above, though thankfully for me it is all in my past now. I just wanted to applaud you for writing about your experiences and for taking the initiatives with things like your panic book, and for not being afraid to write about what is on your mind. I started my own blog about 18 months ago, you can see it at http://www.dancingwiththeblackdog.com perhaps you will see yourself too in what I have written - and most of all, see that there is a way to take on your inner demons and go on to live a truly enjoyable life - as I have done. Stay around the living - goodonya - and you will be an octogenarian at least Im sure before you donate yourself to medical research. All the best, Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mark, how wonderful to get some feedback so soon. I have just finished reading part one of your blog and I can tell that I will have finished it by tomorrow evening. Thanks for the kind words and for directing me to your experiences, I bet we (anxiety sufferers) have so much more in common than we realise, I just hope I am able to reach even a small group of people and change the way they perceive their mental health 'issues'. Writing it down and hoping to make some kind of difference to someone already seems to be helping me. Thanks again for taking the time to write to me and I'm so glad you've found your way through to the other side! Laura x

      Delete