Wednesday 17 April 2013

Pretentious Irritants

Today has been thoroughly productive, even with it having been a day off work for me! I ran this morning - I feel as though I am getting less and less time to exercise, but it is usually number one in calming my anxiety. Maybe it's the fresh air and Vitamin E. Maybe I don't suffer from anxiety and depression at all and I just have S(easonal).A(affective).D(isorder). Should I buy a UV lamp, and a log, and sit under it in my lounge like a lizard?
I stuck a few parcel tags around town highlighting the issue of anxiety and telling people not to feel alone. I hope so much that people read them and it comforts at least one person - I have directed them to my blog so perhaps in a perfect world, in a different universe someone will post with some feedback.
I met a friend today for a couple of drinks to celebrate him getting a new job. I had to kill some time before he met me so I thought I'd see how the other half lived, and be a coffee shop dickhead. Well. I was even unprepared for this particular place, although before I went in there were two people on MacBooks in the window, as it was a whole new level of dickheadedness. I ordered a cappuccino and was presented a piece of driftwood with three cups sitting on it: one a glass of water, one the requested cappuccino and other containing a mystery liquid (which I came to the conclusion was another shot of coffee?) I sat to watch the trendies in their own environment - a girl got creative on her MacBook, a couple read the Telegraph on his and hers iPads, a boy arrived wearing an ironically cool knitted jumper and moustache curled at the sides with wax. I felt sick. I joined in by whipping out my 'Panic Book' (my anxiety diary) and writing my inner-most thoughts, I only wished I had brought my iPad as well because I was sure my measly pen and paper were raising suspicion, or maybe that was the disgusted look on my face? It's people like this that are almost a sure bet to bring in a good old-fashioned panic attack - 'I don't fit in, I'm too judgmental and cynical'... Though maybe I'd prefer to see myself as an anxious mess than feel like this bunch of one-dimensional, transparent bores and myself are 'like-minded'.

No comments:

Post a Comment